Monday, February 18, 2013

Reading Response 10

I found the readings and videos for this post to be very enlightening.  It was refreshing to see videos and actually listen to people from both sides of the conflict discuss their opinions about what has been going on.  I also think these readings and videos about the West-Eastearn Divan Orchestra are somewhat relatable to the video we watched in class about the schools that taught both Israeli and Palestinian children.  It shows that both sides can put aside their differences when it comes to something that they both have a passion for.

I really liked the two videos the most.  The one that interviewed two girls from either side of the conflct showed their own personal opinions.  It showed that they were there to do what they love--which is play music.  They were  not there to try to solve the conflict or show the differences between the two groups.  I think that more programs like this need to happen.  If more and more people from both Israel and Palestine participate in events where they can interact with eachother and understand their different opinions, I think that it will be easier for each group as a whole to begin to work to solve the conflict.  As I said in a previous blog post, I think that the more each group focuses on their siilarities instead of their differences, it will be easier to communicate and compromise when it comes to resolving the conflict.

I also enjoyed watching the interview with Daniel Barenboim.  He had some very interesting opinions on the conflict. I think it is sad that people like him (who seem to be very well-educated and have very enlightening opinions) leave their country because of the conflict.  I also found it interesting that he said "Jerusalem is a city that belongs to the world."  I agree with this.  So many people around the world identify with Jerusalem for religious regions that I believe it is very difficult to claim it as land for one religion over another.  But as the conflict sits now, I know that it is impossible for this land to be claimed as such.  I think that it will be interesting to hear what Mariam Said has to say about the orchestra and her own opinions about the conflict, and I look forward to hearing her tomorrow in class.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,

    I too think the videos were refreshing. Not only were they refreshing, but they gave me perspective. Seeing and hearing individuals creates a mental image that cannot be unseen. Sometimes I feel the videos do a better job of conveying information than the reading themselves. The readings can be long (and sometimes confusing). The videos give all of us a "common ground," if you will. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete