Sunday, February 24, 2013

Reading Response 12

I found Noura Dabdoub's article very interesting, because it discussed the ideas of homeland and identity.  It was a good follow-up reading for our last reading response, because these ideas were discussed in the beginning pages of 'Parallel's and Paradoxes.'  It shows a contrasting view of what Edward Said felt about identity and homelands.

Edward discussed how he did not feel attached to any 'homeland' even though he was from Palestine.  This thesis by Noura highlights the feelings of both Israelis and Palestinians when it comes to their identity. I found it interesting that developing stronger identities seemed to create even more conflict between the two groups.  It shows how important identity is to groups of people.  I think that it's important to have a sense of identity, but I wonder sometimes if there is too much importance put on it.  When thinking about a few of the major conflicts throughout history, it seems as though each has surrounded identity, whether it be identified by religion, race, gender, or nationality.  I know it is impossible to take those things that make up who we are away, but I also wish that we could take away some of that importance as well.

2 comments:

  1. I also found Noura Dabdoub's article interesting. Homeland and identity. You are right; Identity is so tightly woven within the idea of homeland that it does not have room for the "other," as Noura calls them. Neither side has room. Indeed, why can there not be coexistence with the same homeland yet maintain separate identities. I don't think it will ever work though...like kids, if one "side" ends up with more of anything, the "other" will get mad.....her article really summed up the culmination of our readings lately, I think. She expressed both "sides" well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you compared Dabdoub's article with Edward Said's view of identity and a homeland. While both are just different interpretations I think it's interesting that the Palestinians and Israelis developed a stronger tie to their homeland almost after they felt threatened by the opposite group. While its definitely important to have this attachment to a homeland, I agree with you and barb that this is something that's hindering the conflict and may need to be rethought a little or looked at from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete