Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reading Response 15

Exploring these websites about the LGBTQ community and their efforts in Jerusalem was very interesting.  I thought that the blog was enlightening because it gave me perspective from interns and other people who are involved with the Jerusalem Open House and their experiences.  I think it is really cool that despite all of the conflict that surrounds the city, the Jerusalem Open House puts aside the Arab-Israeli conflict to focus on a different conflict that is just as important.

Another website that I found particularly interesting was the one that was for the documentary call 'City of Borders.' The documentary follows the owner of the only gay bar in Jerusalem, as well as both Israeli and Palestinian community members, and shows the daily issues they encounter. There was a quote on this page that struck me. The Israeli bar owner said, "When I read in the Bible I could be killed for being gay, I understood what it was like to be Palestinian."  I think that it's interesting how he drew this parallel.  Maybe this could help put the conflict into perspective in some way.  I think watching the documentary would give us more insight.

Questions:

1) What other LGBTQ efforts are going on in Jerusalem?

2) What major efforts have been put forth by JOH and has it been able to help change the perspective of people living in Jerusalem?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, I thought it was really cool and interesting to read the blogs of these interns in the JOH. It made me realize that there are other issues going on in this city, and while the Palestinians are fighting for their land and their rights , there are also other groups of people out there that need recognition too!

    ReplyDelete